Tuesday, 23 June 2026

When Did We Stop Needing the Local Library?

 I was thinking about libraries the other day.

Not in any particularly profound way. I walked past one, noticed the opening hours on the door and thought, Is that all they're open now?

And then I started remembering what libraries used to be like.

When I was younger, going to the library was an event. You didn't pop in because you had ten minutes to spare. You went armed with a library card and the firm intention of coming home with as many books as you were physically allowed to borrow.

There was something rather wonderful about it.

The slightly musty smell. The plastic covers on the books. The little thump as the librarian stamped the return date. Wandering along shelves without having the faintest idea what you wanted until a cover caught your eye.

And, of course, that terrible moment when somebody else had borrowed the next book in the series.

There was no clicking a button and having it arrive tomorrow.

You waited.

Somehow, we survived.

I know libraries still exist. There are thousands of branches across the country, and millions of people still use them. But they are under enormous pressure. According to Libraries Connected, real-terms local authority spending on public libraries fell by 47% between 2009–10 and 2022–23, while the UK has also seen a net loss of council-run static libraries since 2016.

And I think we've become strangely accepting of that.

A library reduces its hours.

Then it loses a librarian.

Then perhaps it's only open three days a week.

Eventually somebody announces that hardly anyone is using it anymore.

Well... yes.

It's rather difficult to use somewhere that's permanently shut when you want to go.

The strange thing is that we haven't actually stopped reading.

We buy books online. We download them onto Kindles. We listen to audiobooks while walking the dog. We watch people on TikTok enthusiastically displaying shelves containing more books than some small branches probably have left.

Books haven't disappeared.

But perhaps our relationship with them has changed.

I love my Kindle. I'm certainly not going to pretend otherwise. Being able to finish a book at eleven o'clock at night and immediately buy the sequel is one of civilisation's greater achievements.

But a Kindle can't quite replace wandering through shelves.

Because in a library you find the book you weren't looking for.

You go in for a crime novel and somehow come home with a biography, a gardening book and a slightly battered novel written in 1987 because the title made you laugh.

No algorithm decided you'd like them.

You just found them.

And libraries aren't only about borrowing books anyway.

They're one of the few places left where you can simply be without anybody expecting you to buy something.

Children discover books there. People use computers because they don't have one at home. Someone sits quietly and reads the newspaper. Someone else asks a librarian for help with something online. There are reading groups, children's activities and people who perhaps haven't spoken to another person all day.

That community role hasn't vanished. Libraries Connected says today's libraries support everything from reading and digital skills to wellbeing and social connection, even while services continue to face financial pressure.

And perhaps that's what bothers me most about losing them.

Once a library has gone, I don't think you can easily recreate what was there.

You can download a book.

You can order one online.

You can even have it delivered to your door before you've finished the one you're currently reading.

But you can't download a place.

A place where a child can choose ten books even if their parents couldn't afford to buy one.

A place where nobody minds if you spend an hour browsing and leave without spending a penny.

A place where books belong to everybody.

Maybe we didn't stop needing local libraries at all.

Maybe we just stopped noticing how much we needed them.

Until they started disappearing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

  ★★★★★ - Five Stars I knew how this book ended before I started it. I mean, it's Achilles. We've had a couple of thousand years to ...